EWC / SE-WC / SNB Training
An increasing number of agreements on the setting up of European works councils or SE works councils contain provision for training of representatives to be financed by the firm. In this framework, the ETUI Education Department organises made-to-measure courses in response to requests from European works councils, SE works councils and Special Negotiating Bodies (SNBs).
The main aims of these courses are:
- To acquaint representatives with the different national systems of worker representation represented in the works council, what these may entail in terms of expectations of other representatives and the prospects for development of social dialogue
- To overcome communication difficulties stemming from cultural and linguistic differences
- To identify fields for communication and cooperation
- To develop a strategy for communication and information between workers’ representatives on the European/ SE works council and the categories of workers represented.
Another type of made-to-measure training consists of language workshops aimed particularly at certain European/ SE works councils.
The ETUI education department can, on request,
- propose course contents and training programmes for European works councils / SE works councils
- carry out the training using appropriate teaching materials and competent and experienced trainers
- organise simultaneous interpretation during the courses, including provision of interpreters and the necessary technical equipment
- organise booking of the training centre, meeting rooms and accommodation for representatives
- supply estimates on the basis of requests submitted by European works councils / SE works councils and their management.
Training courses lasting between one and five days have already been arranged and conducted for works councils as diverse as those of Allianz SE, Air France KLM, Akzonobel, Albany, Axa, Borealis, Capio, Carrefour, Club Med, EDF, Exxonmobil, Fortis, Fresenius, Freudenberg, Forbo, GfK SE, Heinz, Kodak, Lafarge, Lhoist, LSG Skychefs, Manoir Industries, P&O, Pernod Ricard, Securitas, Suez, Sunalliance, Syngenta, Thales, Telia, Thames Water, Vinci, Vivendi.
Peter Scherrer: (ETUC Deputy Secretary): Why training is essential for European Works Councils?
Peter Scherrer, deputy secretary general of the ETUC, on the need for EWC trainings.
EWC Training: 'How to organise your communication networks', by Bruno Demaître (ETUI), Romuald Jagodzinski (ETUI), Sjef Stoop (FNV Formaat)
This second in a series of manuals for European Workers' Representatives explains in an easy-to-read format how European Works Council (EWC) members can organise and manage their communications network. It gives tips and tricks for better information flows and provides examples of best practices in several EWCs. The manual is available in 8 different languages.
Hard copies can be ordered free of charge: Bruno Demaître
Training manual: How to make your meetings more successful (by B. Demaitre and R. Jagodzinski, ETUI)
The booklet was developed by the European Workers’ Participation Competence Centre (EWPCC). It is the first of a series of practical and helpfully illustrated manuals for workers’ representatives in transnational information and consultation bodies. The first manual offers some practical tips on how to make meetings European bodies (also as EWC or SE works councils) more useful, more efficient and more successful. The manual is currently available in eight languages and can be downloaded as pdf (DE, EL, EN, ES, FR, NL, PL, SW).more ...